An easy family-friendly route without any steep gradients worth mentioning. Start from Strass on the left bank of the Ziller and continue to Schlitters and along the wide valley floor through Fügen and Uderns to Kaltenbach. After passing under the Zillertal-Bundesstrasse, the well-marked route generally follows the Zillertalbahn railway line. The train company Zillertalbahn offers a bike transport. Bike rental is possible in the bigger train stations as well as in several privat bike rentals in the valley.
Bike tours in the Zillertal Arena
in Zell and Gerlos
Tip for families
Levels of difficulty & rules of conduct
BLUE ROUTE: easy
Family-friendly cycling routes with just slight inclines and no continuous climbs. There is very little traffic on the routes and hazardous spots are clearly pointed out.
RED ROUTE: moderately difficult
Requires sporty riding skills, mountain bike equipment is recommended. Unclear, winding sections, short uphill and downhill sections with gradients up to max. 17%. Motor vehicle traffic must be expected, which may take up the entire width of the road, as well as obstacles such as barriers and ruts. Sections may be closed, for example, for logging work.
BLACK ROUTE: difficult
Demanding MTB route with numerous hazardous moments. The red route’s maximum gradient is exceeded and the route characteristics are even more difficult. MTB equipment is mandatory, the route requires riding with foresight to adapt to the situation.
Rules for unadulterated biking enjoyment
By following these rules, you will get the maximum fun and relaxation out of a mountain bike holiday in the Zillertal Arena and at the same time ensure that our unique mountains are still preserved.
- Always ride at a controlled speed, keeping the route ahead in sight!
- Be considerate of hikers and pedestrians and only overtake at walking pace!
- Note the route’s level of difficulty and accurately assess your own experience and ability as a biker!
- Do not ride your bike without a helmet! Check your equipment before every bike tour!
- Barriers are to be respected. Don’t forget, the roads are mainly for agricultural and forestry use. Close the pasture gates!
- Be considerate of nature and animals and stay on the marked routes.
- For your own protection and that of the animals: finish your bike tour before dusk!
Tips for holiday planning, ideas for your perfect winter holiday, the ski area, excursion tips and much more can be found in our brochures. Simply download or order.